you're reading...
Spelling, Words

Note 285 – How would you write the words ‘shock horror’?

I was going to write the words ‘shock horror’ in my blog yesterday but hesitated as I didn’t know if it was hyphenated, separated by a comma or just two separate words. The Cambridge dictionary defines it as “an expression used when you are pretending to feel very shocked by a piece of news” and shows it written as ‘shock, horror’, for example:

Shock, horror! The interest rates have risen again.”

Collins Dictionary, Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary and shows this adjective as hypenated, for example:

“The amount of shock-horror stories in the newspapers has risen in the last two years.”

How would you write shock-horror?

Until tomorrow…

Freelance Writer


About Sandra Madeira

I am a full-time working mum with a passion for writing and inspiring others. Subjects I tend to blog about are life skills, parenting, decluttering, worklife balance, etc. At the moment I am on a decluttering mission creating space in my house, garden and mind. I have challenged myself to do at least ten minutes a day and write about it. Have a good day! Sandra Freelance Writer


2 thoughts on “Note 285 – How would you write the words ‘shock horror’?

  1. I tend to write those particular words on my Face Book Status lol…..and I usually write it like this:

    *shock horror gasp* lol


    Posted by Vikki (The View Outside) | February 10, 2012, 7:32 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 401 other subscribers

Blog Stats

  • 183,665 hits
%d bloggers like this: